Yellow Moong Daal, The base of Indian Culinary Tradition
Recipe of Yellow Moong Daal
1 cup yellow moong daal
1/2 tsp Turmeric
Salt to taste
1 fresh green chilly chopped
5-7 cloves of garlic nicely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp Ghee or clarified butter or olive oil
coriander leaves nicely chopped
- Wash daal and put it to boil in 3.5 cups of water. Add turmeric and salt.
(Other than open boiling, pressure cooker method can also be used. Personally I prefer pressure cooking, as it saves time and I find it as a easier way)
For pressure cooking, put daal into pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and add turmeric and salt.Bring one whistle and turn off the gas. let daal rest into the cooker for few minutes till steam settles down.
- In a pan, heat Ghee or butter or olive oil on a medium flame, put chopped garlic cloves. Saute till light golden in color.
- Add cumin and chopped green chilly.
- As cumin turns light golden brown,pour a tablespoon full daal from cooker into the pan.
(Make sure you pour daal very slowly and a table-spoon full first, as if poured together,it will split out of the pan due to heat)
- Now add whole of boiled daal in pan and bring to boil till desired thickness is achieved.
- For garnishing sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.fresh grounded black pepper could be sprinkled for additional flavor.
- Serve hot with Basmati rice or Chapati and home made mint chutney.