After facing issues with Seagate HDD firmware, alarming death rate ratio of Hitachi drives and non availability of Maxtor(before it was acquired by Seagate) drives, I finally switched over to Western Digital Hard disks and was pretty happy with it until the replacement story started.
After trying hard, I was able to talk to someone(helpful) from Western Digital Support on the toll-free number. Hope, they can respond to the queries that I have. I will post the response here once received.
Email to Western Digital Support:
Please let me know the status of RMA #x25668xx and following are some of the concerns that I have:
1. Why is it so hard to contact your support team on the toll-free number. It’s been over a week since I’ve continuously been trying to get in touch with support but your lines are always busy.
2. My drive was supposed to be picked up from home as per RMA details but no one showed up on specified day/time and neither was I provided with an explanation on this. I simply didn’t expect this from a brand like Western Digital.
3. The most frustrating aspect of this whole problem is that your support just doesn’t respond to the email/tickets, even after repeated updates. I created RMA #x25668xx on 10-Mar-2011 and as no one showed up to collect my drive, I had to sent it through a courier service. In order to get status details I updated the ticket a couple of times requesting someone from support to respond to my query(whether they have received the HDD or not as the RMA status still showed “waiting for product”) but seems no one cares, instead the ticket was closed bluntly twice without any response at all. I had to broadcast on twitter about the kind of service that I was getting, after which @Westerndigital responded to my call telling me that the details have been passed on to the support team and they will be in touch shortly. I am yet to see a response on the ticket though.
4. Your products are good but owing to the fact that you don’t have local service center to deal with issues and it takes 10days*+(time it takes to deliver HDD to your service center)+1 to 3weeks(to receive a replacement), it really has become a nightmare in dealing with Western Digital especially when there’s no one to respond from support. A local support center or any other measures to accelerate the process would be helpful.
5. Please ask your service centers to check replacement product before it is delivered to the customer. If you go through a ticket(related to a previous replacement of 500GB Cavair Green), you will see that the whole process took so much time as the replacement disk which was first sent to me was damaged. I followed the lengthy procedure again and sent it back to the service center from where I received another replacement HDD later.
Hope, Western Digital Support can get back to me shortly with their response to above queries and hopefully, I’ll be able to receive the replacement HDD soon.